This historic grade B2 listed one and a half storey dwelling has been fully restored by Patrick Bradley Architects and it is a fine example of a traditional rural Irish thatched cottage.
The cottage dates back to circa 1830 and is constructed of solid stone walls white washed and surmounted by a wheat straw thatched roof between cement skews with four squat chimney stacks. The last known renovations to the dwelling were in 2001 however the cottage was left in a state of near disrepair after the cottages’ thatched roof collapsed inwards and lay waterlogged for several years. It was hard to distinguish the ruins through the heavy vegetation that also claimed the site.
The dwelling remained largely unchanged externally however the layout has been slightly altered to allow for modern day living standards whilst retaining as many internal features as possible. All chimney openings were retained along with the low ceilings and door openings. The sash windows remained and were made good along with new timber boxes.
The outbuildings of the cluster were also restored along with the cottage to complete the full restoration of this elegant and romantic clachan to its original state.